Your tour and activity company may offer the most interactive and engaging options for any traveler in your destination, but without the right marketing strategy in place, no one will know about them. Most tour operators have to decide between using in-house marketing or hiring an external marketing agency to run their campaigns.
The Difference Between In-House and External Marketing
Depending on the size of your tour and activity company, an in-house marketing team may range from one professional to a team of 3-5 people who take care of creating and implementing your marketing strategy. They work directly for you. An external marketing agency is a third party that specializes in designing and executive personalized marketing plans for businesses within your industry. You and the marketing agency will create a contract for marketing services that works best for your particular circumstances.
Read more: Marketing Tip: How to Promote Your Small Tour or Activity Business
In-House Marketing Pros and Cons
- PRO: An in-house team is going to have an innate understanding of your tour and activity company, and will be able to create marketing strategies that naturally align with your goals and vision for your brand.
- PRO: An in-house team is likely to be more dedicated to the success of any particular marketing strategy, because their own livelihood depends on it. They tend to be more passionate about promoting the tour company as a whole.
- CON: Hiring an in-house marketing team is expensive, as you have to absorb the cost of the employees’ salaries and benefits. You also will need to invest in the tools the team will need to properly do their jobs.
- CON: The marketing team will have to wear many hats, which can quickly lead to employee stress and burnout. Most marketing professionals at small companies find that there are not enough hours in the day to do everything they need to do.
External Marketing Agency Pros and Cons
- PRO: An external marketing agency can offer your business a team of experienced professionals who have a proven track record of delivering results. They have a full set of resources at their disposal, and can often use the latest technology to create the most effective campaigns.
- PRO: An external marketing agency will save you both time and money. You can deflect all of your marketing tasks to the agency, allowing you to focus on other priorities. It is much more cost effective to pay for a marketing contract with an agency than to hire a marketing professional directly.
- CON: It can take time for the marketing agency to become familiar with your brand tone and message.
- CON: Most marketing firms are managing multiple clients at any given time, which may increase the time it takes to create and launch a marketing campaign for your tour company.
It is possible to have the best of both worlds. With the Rezdy Advantage Plan, you receive all of the benefits of the Rezdy online booking system coupled with the expertise of an external digital marketing firm. Learn more about the Rezdy Advantage Plan now.