In this day and age, over 50% of today’s travellers are choosing to book online instead of over the phone. It’s officially impossible to ignore the need for online booking software.
But tour operators are swamped with a multitude of options. With so many choices, how do you find one that perfectly meets the needs of your tour or activity business?
Here are 3 steps to finding your perfect booking software match.
Step 1: Know the costs involved
Paid vs. Free
- Has limited functionality.
- Is often very basic.
- Does not allow for the best user experience for staff or customers.
- Has more flexible features.
- Offer customer support.
- Is more convenient for you and your customers.
Paid software is designed to save you more time and make you more money.
Cost factors to consider
- Setup & training.
- Licensing fee (fixed fee or commission-based).
- Licence per user.
Fixed Fee vs. Commission-Based Pricing
- Often a low monthly rate.
- Predictable pricing.
- Helps you scale as you grow.
- Rate is not dependent on the bookings you make.
- You only pay when you get a booking.
- Costs more as your business grows.
- Cost can change each month.
- Better for businesses who are just starting out.
Step 2: Decide which features you want
- Web-based (in the ‘cloud’).
- Real-time booking.
- Payment options (PayPal, credit card, bank transfer, deferred payment processing, cash).
- Visual calendar.
- Currency and language settings.
Step 3: Assess the software vendor
Option 1: Custom built software
- Designed to your exact needs.
- 100% in your control.
- You can create custom features.
- Very expensive (tens of thousands of dollars).
- Your job to maintain it.
- No 24/7 support when things go wrong.
Option 2: Ready-made online booking software
- Quick to set up and get going.
- MUCH more affordable.
- Dedicated to system maintenance and customer support.
Take your time
It’s a big decision, because it is so central to the running of your business.
Do your research by
- Taking free trials.
- Evaluating each system.
- Talking to their customers (ones that run businesses like yours).
It would be worthwhile to get a live demonstration of the software and getting all your staff (ie. the ones who will ultimately use it on a day-to-day basis) to sit in and give their input.
To include Rezdy in your research, sign up for a free trial:
You can also download the complete guide to choosing booking software by clicking here.
Embed this presentation on your website
Copy and paste the code below